Sunday, July 30, 2023

THANK YOU, PRESIDENT CORY!

(NOTE:  This is a REPOST. Originally published on August 2, 2009)

Corazon C. Aquino, 1933-2009
(Photo from Nueva Ecija Journal)

August 1st is a marked date in my calendar. That is the death anniversary of my mother, Urbana Ayroso-Ramirez (March 19, 1921 - August 1, 1987)

Yesterday, August 1st, 2009, another great personality (and mother, for that matter) passed away—former President Corazon C. Aquino, the mother of Philippine Democracy. Being a democracy icon not only of the Philippines but of the whole world, President Arroyo has aptly referred to her as a “national treasure”.

I was doing some household chores early yesterday morning when I heard the song “Magkaisa over the radio or on TV. That song will remind one of EDSA… of People Power Revolution. And the People Power Revolution will always come in close association with the name Cory Aquino.

Being aware of the former president’s health condition, I became apprehensive and worried about what could have happened to her. My inquisitive mind and restless feet brought me to a neighbor’s door where I learned about the sad news that the former president has passed away.

I was emotionally affected. My voice trembled as I continued to ask and talk to my neighbor. And as old and familiar footages and videos of Cory were shown on TV, something started brewing in my eyes.

Many may not know it, but I was a Cory sympathizer during the turbulent period of our nation’s history when the political situation was very, very unstable. Because of the many sufferings, pains, and sacrifices that she had gone through, she easily won the hearts and sympathy of many Filipinos, myself included.

Cory fought with the dictator and it was a David-versus-Goliath-like fight with herself representing David and emerging as the victor in the end.

I remember the mammoth crowds or rallies, the Cory! Cory! Cory! chant, the flashing of the "L" or Laban sign, the yellow ribbons and confetti, and the ticker-tape parade on Ayala Avenue that characterized the political atmosphere of our country during those times.

I had a more-than-a-meter-high pile of Malaya newspaper and another more-than-a-meter-high pile of Mr. & Ms. magazine/newspaper that had accumulated in my living room from the day those “mosquito press” started their publication until the time of, what seemed to me, their "mission's accomplishment".

I had a collection of various foreign broadsheets such as Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, Asian Wall Street Journal, and Stars and Stripes that some fleet shore patrol and stationed American servicemen gave me or inadvertently left in our office (U.S. Naval Base). Those broadsheets carried news and stories about the political turmoil and unrest in our country that couldn’t be read in the local dailies especially when the “mosquito press” were not yet in existence.

After the EDSA Revolution, I also had a collection of various magazines that featured Cory, like the Time Magazine where she graced the cover being its Woman of the Year

But transferring from one house to another in Olongapo made it impossible for me to keep all those things intact. I could have boasted of such collections now with their great historical value had I not lost or misplaced them. Living all alone by myself and doing everything all by myself, I have lost track of them and really forgotten what I did with them.

There was even a time when, after Cory had peacefully relinquished the presidency to her successor, I tried to contact her by phone to ask about some matters of importance to me but Ms. Deedee Siytangco, her secretary, told me she had a meeting with foreign journalists. Instead, it was Ballsy, her eldest daughter, who entertained me on the phone. Oh, how pleasant and very accommodating Ballsy was to me!

I also loved listening to Cory’s speeches my most favorite of which was that one she delivered before the joint session of the United States Congress. That particular historical speech made me truly proud to be a Filipino. 

I have read much and widely about Cory Aquino—a plain housewife who suffered much under Martial Law and who was destined to liberate (as she indeed liberated) her countrymen from an oppressive and tyrannical rule, an honest public servant, a woman of Great Faith, and a President known for her simplicity and well-loved by the people. Despite all the pains she suffered in her earthly life, though, history will be kind in judging her. Cory Aquino has already earned a prominent and an enviable place in history. In fact, with the kind of life that she had lived, even sainthood won't be far from her.

Thank you, Tita Cory! Leaving the world of the living may sometimes be sweet especially so when your beloved Ninoy just cannot wait to be with you again. You may now rest in peace.

WE LOVE YOU!

Goodbye.

4 comments:

  1. she will always be remembered until time without end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her cortege just pass by our office today at 11:00 am. We temporarily stop what we are doing and go out in EDSA to show respect and love for democracy.
    It's really sad losing a fighter.
    Yes, we should really thank her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanggang ngayon nalulungkot pa din ako sa pagkawala niya... para akong nawala ng mahal sa buhay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She will always remain in our hearts and minds.

    Kumusta ka na my friend...it's been so long. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete